Webinars and Online Courses
Title IX and LGBTQI students
Date/Time: Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 1pm EST
Duration: 1 hour
Facilitator: Heather Cowan
We all know Title IX protects students from gender and sex discrimination. We also know that sex and gender are not the same thing and neither are sex and sexual orientation. We know there is a broad spectrum of gender, gender identity and gender expression. But do we know that Title IX also has protections for LGBTQI students? This webinar will cover some basics of sex, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity and expression to lay the groundwork for how Title IX extends protections beyond our binary thinking of sex and therefore, sex discrimination. This webinar will cover the requirements of Title IX as it relates to our LGBTQI students and how we can help our LGBTQI students feel safer and more included on our campuses. We will review some national statistics around sexual harassment and violence for LGBTQI communities and the need for us to step up our efforts to ensure our students feel safe to report their concerns and experiences to us. We will also review guidance from OCR, EEOC and the NCAA. Current questions for fraternities and sororities on admitting transgender students will also be reviewed. Any updates related to Title IX and LGBTQIA students related to the new POTUS will also be included.
Heather Cowan, M.A.,
- Participants will be able to list the differences between sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression
- Participants will be able to explain how Title IX extends protections to LGBTQI students
- Participants will learn basic statistics of sexual violence in LGBTQI communities
- Participants will be able to list terms used within the LGBTQI communities and how to use them appropriately
- Participants will get some ideas for how to help their campus become more inclusive to LGBTQI students to encourage Title IX reporting
has over 15 years of professional experience working with diverse student populations in sexual health, student conduct and civil rights investigations. She is currently the Title IX Coordinator at the University of New Mexico. Previously, she was the Sexual Misconduct Program Manager in the Office of Student Conflict Resolution at the University of Michigan and an Investigator with UM's Office for Institutional Equity.
Please read our FAQ Section for general information about our webinars including System Requirements and
recommended Compatibility Check.
Subscribe to our email list! NO SPAM, we promise. Just periodic updates on what's new along with the occasional special savings offer for our webinars.